Tomorrow is the Crosstown Shootout. Like I needed to tell you. For those of you who somehow aren't well versed in the Cincinnati-Xavier rivalry, let this be your guide to Xavier hate. Some of these reasons are from suggestions from twitter. Bearcats Blog will be on twitter tomorrow for the game, look for @BearcatsBlog. Using the hashtag #BeatX is recommended.
10) Those "Xavier Undefeated Since 1973" shirts were stupid.
I don't know if these are still sold anywhere, but good lord were they stupid. Every once in a while you see a guy wearing one on the urge to punch him in the face starts to rise. It's easy to be undefeated in football when you sucked so much your school gave up the sport. Xavier did their part to stop the stupid shirts from existing, they started a club football team. That team went 0-7 in 2011. Xavier football wasn't hot stuff back in the 70s. If you remember the film We Are Marshall, who were the villains? Xavier. And Marshall beating them was a great moment. Not only did Marshall win their first home game after the tragedy, but they beat those evil Xavier bastards to boot. Anyway, those shirts, stupid.
9) Andy Mac's call was horrible.
Go ahead, listen to his "legendary" call of the 1996 Shootout. It's horrible. He barely gets out "Lenny Brown makes the shot, Xavier wins," before spouting into his horribly rehearsed "Number 1 in the country, number 2 in the city," nonsense. It's only 20 seconds into the call that he actually describes what happened so Brown could make the shot. If you were some guy flipping on the dial and you stumbled across that, you would wonder what Brown did besides shoot and score. Then you would wonder why the homer announcer was making horrible calls and probably turn off your radio in disgust.
8) Tu Holloway is a crybaby.
This is the newest entry on the list. It stems from last season's Crosstown Shootout. If you don't remember that game, the Yancy Gates fueled 20 point Cincinnati domination, you probably remember Holloway bitching about every single call up and down the court for 40 minutes. Holloway was 2-13 from the field for 5 points and turned the ball over 4 times. Holloway was directly at the vortex of the game turning from semi-competitive into a blowout. With Xavier down 10, he fouled Larry Davis for 2 FTs, then got a technical foul called on him that moved the lead to 13. After Tu took a bad 3, UC moved the lead to 15 and never looked back. Holloway is cold blooded for sure, and he's a great player. But his shameful performance last season made him and Xavier look bad.
7) Xavier is terrible at lip syncing.
Do the first 5 people poorly lip sync? Yes. Do the people walking backwards look to see where they are going every 2 seconds? Yes. Is someone wearing a Santa hat in February for no reason? Yes. Does the video look both rehearsed and not rehearsed at the same time? Yes. Is there a random hate crime? Yes. Is there some dude with a shake weight who is kind of scary? Yes. Are there white people failing to do anything graceful? Yes. Does the swim team do a 'funny' conga line? Yes. Does a cheerleader or dance team girl go spread eagle in front of the camera? Yes. Is there some random guy walking through the background? Yes. Was there poor editing to make that song last over 7 minutes? Yes. Was this video shot months after the lip sync trend was socially acceptable? Yes. Was this video horrible? Yes.
6) No one can pronounce it.
Name one school that has been in the NCAA tournament and is as nationally relevant as Xavier and gets it's name mispronounced. That's right, you can't. No one mispronounces Duke, or Kentucky, or Kansas, or Louisville, or Gonzaga. That honor is saved for EGGS-avier. People always wonder how Xavier can get out of the mid-major label and can get thought of as a national program. Not being called EGGS-avier would go a long way. I want someone to pronounce Xavier the way Xavier Henry pronounces his name. The Za-V-Eh Musketeers would be the greatest thing ever. I hope the ESPN2 announcer uses that tomorrow.
5) Kevin Frey was a bad player.
I'm using Kevin Frey, but he really is a stand in for any Xavier player that was not that good at basketball, but played like he was Michael Jordan. Frey was especially a pain in the ass because he was on the 99 team that beat UC in the final Shootout at the Cincinnati Gardens. Frey made a put back that I remember being so incredibly lucky that it made me sick, then running up the court like a spaz. Frey would go out in a great way. The 02 Bearcats beat Xavier by 20 and Frey was something like 3-15. Xavier fans love Frey, even though he had 2 decent years. He shot 26% from 3 his career, but shot 49, 66 and 58. He had 1 year of 11-6 and 2 of 8-5. He was one of those guys Xavier fans talk about how gritty he was and how scrappy he was. He shot 42%, took bad shots and didn't rebound that well. He didn't get any steals or assists. He made 1 put back and suddenly became the face of Xavier basketball, even though he wasn't even good.
4) Xavier uses this as a mascot.
I'm pretty sure the pitch meeting for this mascot was as followed.
Guy 1: Hey, we need another mascot.
Guy 2: Agreed.
Guy 1: Do you have any original ideas?
Guy 2: No, because I went to Xavier.
Guy 1: Me too. Let's turn on the TV to get ideas.
*Turns on TV, sees Western Kentucky game*
Guy 1: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Guy 2: Steal it?
Guy 1: And make it blue.
*lights up cigar*
3) Pete Gillen was an asshole.
Before Pete Gillen was being an absolutely terrible color analyst for college basketball games, he was the first coach to leave Xavier for a better job. Yes kids, Sean Miller, Thad Matta and Skip weren't the first ones to do it. The reason Gillen remains hated by me is because of the 1994 Shootout. Part of this is based off what I remember from Bob Huggins book, and part is based off a recap I found. During the first half, Xavier coaches were yelling at the Cincinnati bench. This led to Huggins and Gillen getting into a shouting match as the teams went into the half. During the second half, I recall Huggins saying the Xavier coaches continued the yelling and one of them might have grabbed his crotch. That part sounds right, but I'm not sure. Xavier won in OT. Instead of shaking hands, Huggins walked off the court. That made the next few Shootouts electric with hate. Here is the recap I refered to:
They went at it from a distance, then punctuated a frenzied night when Huggins refused to shake Gillen's hand.
"I'm not phony," Huggins said. "If their bench is going to yell things at me during the game, that's their business. I'm not going to shake hands and pretend everything is all right."
The 10,121 fans got the idea something was wrong at halftime. Huggins and Gillen were yelling back toward the court as they headed for the locker rooms.
It got worse in the second half. At one point, the two coaches appeared to be yelling at each other from their benches. Finally, there was the handshake snub.
2) Xavier girls are ugly.
When I asked for reasons Xavier sucked on twitter, this was far and away the most common response. I'm not one to argue with the will of the people. Looking at the video up top, I'm not one to argue that point either. Sorry Xavier girls, U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi.
1) They are Xavier.
They are Xavier. We are Cincinnati. Sometimes it's that simple.
3) Pete Gillen did leave Xavier, unfortunately. The difference is that he did it in a professional manner. He was before my time, I only got to see one or two games coached by him, but I know both him and Skip Prosser left Xavier earlier than all of us with Xavier hoped, but they told us they were going. The reason we’re bitter with the other two is that they both held interviews to state they were not leaving, and then the next morning, we find them in Phoenix, or Columbus.
Also, you used Huggins to compare to? Like I said before, the game gets intense. There is always a lot of yelling at a Crosstown Shootout. However, at the end of the game, it’s over. We go back to our everyday lives and respect one another again. What Huggins did there was very unsportsmanlike. Leave the tension on the court. Once the buzzer goes, what happened, happened.
2) I don’t even know where to go with this one. First, I’ll say again that I know many people that worked in the video. I have to say that overall, UC girls seem to be worse off than the ladies here at X. Also, most of us here at Xavier look much deeper than just appearances. Sure, UC may have a few girls that could win a beauty pageant against Xavier, the women of Xavier of much better overall person, not just a nice looking empty shell, but a good-looking intelligent people with good personalities.
1) Yes, we are Xavier. We love Xavier. I would just also like to note that by 5pm tomorrow, no matter the outcome of the game, I will not be caring about it anymore, and neither will most people here at Xavier. Most of us respect UC as an institution, and I personally am considering applying for a graduate program there.
We might have less enrolled in our school, or a smaller campus, less facilities, and even sometimes a worse team. No matter what we have, we will always be a Xavier family. When you go to Xavier, you become part of it. You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us, so BRING IT ON!
5) We know Kevin Frey wasn’t the greatest player ever, and I guarantee you he will never have his number retired or anything like that. I was young when he was at Xavier, but I remember seeing him play at games. Just because he might not be a star player, he could still play better than the average person. Also, at Xavier, the team looks at other things, not just how great they can play, but personality, work ethic, and many other things.
4) First of all, the Blue Blob is not THE mascot of Xavier. Xavier athletes are Musketeers, and our primary mascot is D’Artagnan. The Blob is only a secondary mascot that younger kids like, and allows both the men’s and women’s teams to have a mascot present when they go to tournaments. If you would have checked beforehand you would have realized that, like Jeff mentioned, the Blue Blob was a prize given to Xavier for winning a Crosstown Shootout. If UC would have won, UC would have a Red Blob. Yep, even more similar to WKU…
7) Yes, it was late in the fad, way late. However, we had fun with it. Also it was a part of a project by the XU Television Association. It’s not like a group of friends just decided to do this because it was the popular thing to do; we wanted to have fun with it, and we did. I have friends who helped work on the project, and I know they all enjoyed it, and that’s all that matters.
6) Just because everyone can’t pronounce it, doesn’t invalidate the program. If you say EGGS-avier within 20 feet of anyone from Xavier, they will tell you that you are saying it wrong and will help you pronounce it correctly. If you thing about it, it’s not hard to pronounce. You wouldn’t say SEE-cincinnati or ELL-louisville, so why would you pronounce the X twice? Also, EVERYONE mispronounces Louisville…
9) Okay, fine it was a rehearsed line probably, but can you blame him? No matter how either team is playing the rest of the season, the Crosstown always seems to be closer than it should be. If you were some guy flipping the dial at that moment, you probably don’t care about the Crosstown, and would not care at all about what just happened at the game.
8) Okay, fine maybe, Tu whined a little much, but have you ever seen a clam Crosstown from either team? When the crowd and the entire city get into a game, it goes to all the players’ heads. We admit, we did not deserve to win that game last year, and you don’t year us complaining about it anymore.
Background…it’s a wonderful thing. I will have to post these separate, as I exceed the character limit:
10) Yes, we know the “Undefeated Since 1973” shirts are stupid. The shirts have become a tradition. Many students who go to Xavier have had a relative that went here around the time the shirt first appeared. There was a demand to keep making them, so the university continues to do so. Many UC people may also be shocked to hear that many Xavier fans, including myself sometimes will root for UC football. We don’t have a varsity team, and we would rather see the national spotlight shine on our city than get all bitter about how we don’t have a team.
Yep, zaveeir girls are uuugly..... .... ... .. .. .. .. ..... http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/files/2011/01/uglyucgirls-480x360.jpg
#7 - You got us there. I'll give you that one.
#6 - Really, you listed Louisville in names of schools that no one mispronounces? You need to make fun of yourself for that one.
#5 - Brush up on your history. Skyline gave that to Xavier when they beat UC in one of the Crosstowns. Also, don't hate just because your mascot has never been on an ESPN commercial and in Playboy.
As for the the other numbers I'll leave the floor open for discussion.
#4.. The blob mascot.. Xavier won that as a gift when they beat you at yet another Crosstown shoot out.
#2.. Xavier girls are ugly.. So true. There's definitely some horrible looking girls that go to Xavier. But luckily, they're also really unintelligent and choose to spend all their time off campus dating UC guys that match their stupidity. So thankfully I never have to look at them. Thank you for than one!
#6 has more to do with ignorant sportscasters' inability to learn how to correctly say a school's name. people mispronounce Louisville ALL THE TIME. and Xavier girls are ugly? that's so original and relevant to the game tomorrow..
@BearcatsBlog #3 is awesome.
@BearcatsBlog UC Band's brass section is more attractive than the XU cheerleaders in that video.
@jeffgirton ur saying ur mascot is cooler than the bearcat which won a national mascot competition? hahahaha. funny stuff.